Odda is situated below a major glacier, where the fjord penetrates deep into the mountain massive of Southern Norway. Originally a major tourist destination in Europe, the exploitation of hydro electrical power in the beginning the 20th century transformed the place into a bustling international industrial town. Partial de-industrialization has left Odda with a declining population, but also with the potential for a new identity based on its architectural and industrial history, and for a renewed tourism based on its setting and proximity to two National Parks.
The study area comprises the commercial town centre and parts of the abandoned industrial zone. The post-industrial area represents an enormous potential for mixed use expansion of the town centre, for reclaiming the river and re-envisioning the relationship with the fjord. Developing new enterprises is seen as key to the success of the area. The important industrial and architectural heritage of the site is an important resource for the development of a new urban identity, and efforts are being made to have Odda included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Odda is reclaiming its role as a tourist attraction by focusing on geotourism. The main focus is now to create a strategic urban development project that establishes a gateway between the commercial town centre, the industrial heritage area and the scenic fjordscape, glaciers and national nature reserve areas.
- Urban dwelling must be combined with sustainable forms of tourism to combine a new urban model that reduces the amount of space devoted to the car.
- The town is looking for a turning point, a strategy for turning heavy industry into a tourist attraction, and an attractive living environemnt. Existing local resources and qualities must be used to trigger new economies in a sustainable way.
- Multifunctionality is the basis for a new public character of the site. Urban qualities supplement the landscape as tourist attractors
- Development of new public spaces is crucial to reengaging the landscape qualities in the urban situation – providing for tourists and at the same time dealing with the changing lifestyles of the population.
A new landmark for visitors and residents of Odda. Reclaiming the original town centre and reconnecting to the fjord. Public spaces and new cultural institutions relating to industrial heritage and tourism. Dwellings to attract new groups of residents.
- Project site
- 5.5 ha
- Site proposed by
- Municipality of Odda
- Winner (12,000 euros), Runner-up (6,000 euros) and Special Mention (no reward)