The Europan site in Trondheim is located in the district of Nyhavna, a place full of contradictions and conflicts. Heavy industry, alternative cultural activities and housing comprise the framework for the contrasting user groups of punk activists, industrial workers and business people. Large-scale war heritage and harbour buildings meet the intimate small scale of wooden houses and greenery.
The main goal for the competition in Trondheim is to use the opportunity to further the ongoing discussion about the future development of Nyhavna, and come up with alternative, interesting and innovative solutions for what could be seen as the key site of development for the whole city district. Cultural activity in the area is already evident and has the potential to be strengthened. The main focus is to use that culture as the driving force for change and revitalization by making physical strategies that show the potential for new development based on different forms of culture.
Trondheim Municipality asks for proposals for:
- design for a building in Strandveien 27, a small site inside the housing area of Svartlamoen - to be developed with mixed use of cultural activities and apartments. (Commission for the winner).
- a plan for the area between Dora I and Svartlamoen – to be developed as a public space and meeting place for cultural and urban activities.
- design and location for Kultimathule, a new cultural institution .
- Trondheim, Svartlamoen.
- 165 191 inhabitants in Trondheim
- Project site
- 600 m2
- Site proposed by
- Municipality of Trondheim, Svartlamoen boligstiftelse, Svartlamoen kultur- og næringsstiftelse
- Winner (12,000 euros), Runner-up (6,000 euros) and Special Mention (no reward)